Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Taste Buds Jumping

Those of you wonderful folks that know me well, know that I love food. I love all kinds of food and try just about anything. Well for supper last night, I tried something that I had never tried before. I know it would seem that I have tried just about everything in town, well I haven't and tonight my taste buds have been jumping for joy! They were treated to a parade of sensational, dynamic, and delectable flavors.

It all started with a simple tv commercial and fairly simple ingredients, including the key one that I had never tried. The ad featured a recipe for a creamy pesto sauce served over grilled chicken. Now, neither Mrs SudsMuffin nor I had ever tried Pesto before, but we enjoy all the ingredients that go into Pesto so we thought it sounded good. So I went to the City Market and picked up some freshly made Pesto at the Italian food stall, called "Sisters". I also picked up some spaghetti noodles, some fresh parmesan, a small ciabatta bread, some fresh veggies and I was set.

Once home, Mrs SudsMuffin and I started preparing our meal. She cut up the veggies (onion, mushrooms, green pepper & zucchini) while I started cooking the spaghetti. I warmed up and then sliced the ciabatta bread and Mrs SudsMuffin added garlic butter, freshly grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese to each slice, then into the toaster oven it went.

I sauteed the veggies, reheated some leftover grilled chicken breast and started making the Pesto sauce. This consisted of a tub of cream cheese, melted in a sauce pan, then adding in some chicken stock and then a few spoonfuls of the fresh pesto.

I assembled our meal on a platter: first the cooked spaghetti noodles, topped with the grilled chicken, then the sauteed veggies, poured over the lovely creamy Pesto sauce, then sprinkled on some more fresh Parmesan. We enjoyed it all SO much, accompanied by the toasted garlic cheese ciabatta. It was a perfect supper and we will definitely be making this one again, but next time, we'll be sure to share.

So now, I'm a true fan of Pesto. I don't what took me so long to try it, or why nobody ever told me how good it was. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

VanillaSeven said...

Hmm.. I should try to make dishes with Pesto sauce then :) Mind share the recipe?

http://vanillaseven.com/2010/03/05/a-night-at-portico-with-sierra/