Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Soapmakers journey to higher learning.

This week has been rather unique for me. On Monday, I was the guest speaker at the University of New Brunswick Saint John (UNBSJ). I had been invited to speak on e-commerce and social networking. I found the class to be extremely attentive and really easy to speak to. I explained how we merged our marketing with social networking and some of the do's and don'ts of social networking. The class had some very good questions, which I was happy to answer. I had a great time, even though I was a little nervous. My time at the University did not end there.

Thursday afternoon, I had the privilege of being invited to a soap lab being performed by one of the biology classes. They distilled their own essential oils, which I found intriguing. I enjoyed giving advice on what oils to use and how much. I felt sorry for them as they had to hand mix their batches of soap to get them to come to trace. Some of them seemed to lose hope but they all did eventually trace (take on a pudding-like state). The lab was extremely well run by Leah (who had invited me). Her knowledge of the process was very good and she had obviously put a lot of research into the lab. I added a couple of safety tips to what she covered with the class. In the end, everybody managed to pour their soap into their makeshift molds. I wasn't there for the unmolding in the days following but I hope their soaps turned out well.

I want to thank everyone at both events for making me feel welcome and I hope that my information proved to be insightful.

No comments: