Thursday, September 3, 2009

Warning: It's a scam

I had an interesting thing happen today at the shop. I received a call early in the morning from 1-800-931-1026 which displayed "goc-gdc" on the caller id screen. I answered and the caller hung up. This got me curious so I did a search and found the following information: this a legitimate Revenue Canada phone number!

The kicker is that someone seems to ghosting this number to gain information from the people they contact. The surest way to protect yourself is take a callback number and verify it with the number in the phone book or website. Also NEVER, EVER, EVER give your SIN # to anyone over the phone, unless you are doing the calling to a number that you have verified as being legitimate. Revenue Canada already has your info on file. If in doubt, check on 800notes.com or Canada 411.

Should you suspect a call is fraudulent, get what info you can, then call the police right away. Better safe than sorry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just received a call with exact same caller ID info. If it's truly Canada Revenue Agency, it would NOT say goc-gdc. CRA would also leave a voice message if they're trying to reach you. Scammers! Nov 20.09

SC said...

This is Statistics Canada.

Unknown said...

It's a scam. They just called me today. When I wouldn't tell her my address she hung up.

Unknown said...

It's a scam. They just called me today. When I wouldn't tell her my address she hung up.