Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Father's Pride

This past Saturday, I took my 11 year old daughter to watch the Pride parade. I felt that it was important for her to experience it. She really enjoyed watching all the colors and all the different people. We then went down to where the parade was culminating so I could meet my cousin, whom I did not know existed until about 2 months ago. My MiniMuffin had great fun mixing with the people, talking to those she knew and making new friends.

She was so excited to meet her new cousin that she jabbered about him all the way back to the SudsMuffin shop. She asked me what the parade was for so I did my best to explain it to her and I think she got the gist. She asked me what trans gender was. I explained my understanding to her and she came back with "so they just got put in the wrong bodies." The final question I asked her was "what was special about all the people in the parade?" She answered "nothing. They are all people just like me." Now, isn't that the whole point?

2 comments:

Particles of Stone said...

Kids really have a wonderful clarity on the human condition that adults often lack. Bravo to both of you!

mysaintjohn said...

The world needs more parents like you and Mrs. Suds :)